|The Grant County Play With Us Page
Landes Performing Arts Center • 304-257-1725
Landes Performing Arts Center
• Referred to as the cultural center of the tri-county area, the Larry and Joyce Alexander Landes Performing Arts Center is comprised of the 300- seat Eugene K. Harr Theatre, the John Wellington Gallery, and the Ours Reception Gallery. The spacious stage and state of the art technology en¬tice skilled performers of all genres including music, drama, and dance as well as traveling exhibits. Past exhibits include items from the West Virginia Country Music Hall of Fame, the West Virginia Humanities Council, and the Smithsonian. The center is adjacent to the Moomau Public Library, and is home to West Virginia Theatre East and the Country Store Opry. Visit landesartscenler.com
for a schedule of upcoming events
Spring Mountain Festival
Spring Mountain Festival
• This annual event, hosted by the Grant County Chamber of Commerce, is held the last weekend in April. A variety of activities and entertainment include musical performances, arts and craft vendors, rides, games, food vendors, a flea market and much more. The festival also boasts a parade as well as a Corn Hole Tournament, April Fools Race, Golf Tournament and so much more. Admission to the festival grounds, located at the Tri-County Fairgrounds, is FREE and many activities are held in and around Petersburg.
Train Ride through the Trough • 304-257- 9264
6 hour roundtrip between Petersburg and Romney, WV. Trains depart South Side Deopt, 126 Main St. in Petersburg at 11AM. Call 304-257- 9264 for info or to purchase tickets.
Country Store Opry
Country Store Opry
• One of the state's best "Classic Country" music shows, you'll enjoy hearing hits from the golden years of country music made famous by the likes of George Jones, Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline and so many more. Shows are held on Saturdays from 7:00 - 9:30 PM at al¬ternating locations including the Landes Arts Center in Petersburg, WV. Country Store Opry • countrystoreopry.com
Heritage Days in Grant County • 4th weekend in September.
Experience the rich heritage of our Appalachian culture at this event held annually the fourth weekend in September. There are a variety of available activities including special openings of historical buildings and local museum tours,
Harman’s North Fork Invitational Fly Fishing
Harman’s North Fork Invitational Fly Fishing • wvlogcaoins.com
• This two-day fly fishing competition is held in late spring along the North Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac River. Known for its amazing trout fishing, this rugged mountain stream provides some of the most exciting fly fishing on the East Coast. The event has been featured on the Sportsman Cnannel with coverage by Curtis Fleming and the "Fly Rod Chronicles". Open to the public. By Invitation only to fish
Dinner Train • 304-257-9264
Dinner Train • southsidedepot.com
• 3 1/2 hour roundtrip from Petersburg to Eagle Rock sponsored by the Grant County CVB. Trains depart South Side Depot in Petersburg. Enjoy a delicious meal while winding along the beautiful South Branch River of the Potomac Highlands. View historic buildings, scenic rock formations and native wildlife such as the Bald Eagle.
Cabela’s FREE Fun Day at Smoke Hole Resort •Cabins • 304-257-5160
This FREE event, held by Smoke Hole Outfitters and Cabela's, is located at Smoke Hole Resort on North Fork Hwy. on the first Saturday of every May. Bring the whole family!! Kids 12 & under will receive a free trout from the trout pond and a free Cabela's fishing pole. Kids 16 & under enjoy archery targets, fly casting and air gun rifle stations. FREE country rock concert, hay rides and face painting add to the free fun!! Free lunch for all between 1 lam-lpm. Drawings and Prizes!! Cabela's Gun Library also set up for display. "Like" Smoke Hole Outfitters Face- book for more details.
Christmas Train Ride with Santa • 304-257-9264
Hosted by the Grant County CVB, this unique holiday railroad experience is open to children of all ages! Passengers will receive a visit from Santa ana enjoy views of the Christmas Festival of Lights at Welton Park right from their railcar. Free hot chocolate and cookies are also part of this wonderful holiday adventure,
West Virginia Theatre East • Call 304-749-7805 for a schedule.
This community theater group performs a variety of productions such as You Can't Take it With You, Oliver, Fiddler on trie Roof, Wizard of Oz, as well as many tales placed in an Appalachian Mountain setting. The yearly schedule generally includes productions in late summer, October, December and a spring musical.
Click Tri-County Fair
for this year's fair schedule. Known as The Oldest Fair in WV, the Tri-County Fair will celebrate it's 96th year in 2016. With a wide variety of livestock shows & sales, 4-H exhibits, arts & crafts, rides, games, delicious foods, a parade, and a Queen Scholarship Pageant, there is sure to be something for everyone! Held annually in late July or early August.
Fall Foilage Train Ride • Call for more information • 304-257-9264
1 1/2 hour roundtrips departing South Side Depot in Petersburg at 10 AM, 12 noon, 2 PM, and 4 PM. One of the most wonderful time to visit the area and enjoy the spectacular array of colors is in the fall. And what would be more enjoyable than to see all those colors relaxing on the train. These short train trips are perfect for the family, couples or large groups. View historic buildings, scenic rock formations, and native wildlife such as the Bald Eagle.
Welton Park's Christmas Festival of Lights • 304-257-1725
This spectacular holiday light display will excite children of all ages. Come marvel at the beautiful twinkling lights, complete nativity scene, and a variety of animated displays. Something new every year! The official lighting takes place Thanksgiving evening in Welton Park and the FestivaLof Lights continues through January 1st.
Fourth of July Celebration • For more info at 304-257-1725.
Blast off with our spectacular Fourth of July Celebration at the City Park in Petersburg. Free live concerts, swimming inflatable playground, de¬licious foodj a parade and a HUGE fireworks display make this the place to be on July 4th! Contact Grant County Parks and Recreation for more info at 304-257-1725.
October Special - All Day (8 hour) Train Ride •
Take the All-Day (8 hour) roundtrip train ride from Petersburg to Green Spring in late October. A relaxing way to see the country side and take in all the area has to offer. View historic buildings, scenic rock formations, and native wildlife such as the Bald Eagle. Call South Side Depot for more info,
Old Time Christmas in Petersburg
Held annually in early December, sponsored by the Grant County Chamber of Commerce, features a variety of traditional holiday activ¬ities. A recitation of T'was the Night Before Christmas - typically per¬formed by our WV Commissioner of Agriculture, Walt Helmick - is presented alongside presentations from local groups like WV Thearte East and the Petersburg High School Band and Chorus. Enjoy horse j drawn sleigh rides around Welton Park to view the spectacular Festival of Lights, hot chocolate and cookies and an EmCee to keep it all going. It's a wonderful time for families, couples, large groups - a festive week¬end for sure! All Free thanks to our great sponsors!
Fort Mulligan Day
Join in a day that includes Union and Confederate living history camps, weapons and surgical demos, presentations and period tradesman, ladies' tea, a candle light camp tour and more, with plenty of great food! Held in late summer every other year, this reenactment will place you in days past and improve your knowledge of the struggles ana triumphs of Civil War troops in West Virginia's Civil War history. All proceeds go to the fort's preservation.
WV Purebred Sheep Breeders Show & Sale
This is the longest standing sheep show & sale east of the Mississippi River attracting people from all over the eastern part of the country. Their delicious Lamb BBQ is a big hit!! The show typically happens at the end of May, or the beginning of June. Call for more info and dates.